Wind Turbine Issues
1. They are an economic disaster for our country.
2. Low-frequency noises are produced (LFN, 20–200 Hz), which poses health risks to nearby residents.
3. Farm contamination from blade fragments, oil leakage, and de-icing chemicals hurt farms and farm animals.
4. Bird strikes are common, and wildlife diminishes around them. Dairy cattle give less milk when turbines are near.
5. Fourty whales are dead on the east coast beaches near the ocean wind turbines, as of 6/19/23.
6. Drought areas coincide with locations of the wind generator towers.
7. The towers are a safety risk to spray pilots.
8. Many components are not easily recyclable. See the photo of a blade graveyard below.
9. Fire on a tall tower can become hard to control, especially on a windy day.
10. Wind Turbines have unreliable and unpredictable power generation.
11. Blades can come off from component failure or may be broken off by a tornado, and where will they land?
12. If a wind company is dishonest, they are nearly impossible to win a law suit against and/or collect damages from.
13. All of the so called "FREE" money offered to landowners and communities comes from US taxpayers.
14. A lot of the money (our tax money) ends up in foreign countries, like China - with double the pollution of the US.
15. Intermittent wind power makes coal plants and other power sources far less efficient.
16. We still need 100% of standard power to supply everything when there is no wind and no sunlight.
17. Peak power is not obtained until about 32 MPH, and over about 55 MPH they need controlled to prevent failure.
18. Ice buildup can come loose and cause damage worse than hail. Deicing chemicals harm the ground bleow.
19. Contracts often have "gag" language in them, so owners can't talk bad about the wind companies even if it is true.
20. Contracts often give the wind companies far more rights to what can be done on the property than the owners have.
21. Power is consumed by: the turbines for blade feathering, yaw (turning the blades to face the wind), and brakes to avoid too avoid too much speed in winds over approximately 55.
22. Warning lights on towers, and shadow flicker from blades interrupting sunlight are annoying to local residents.
23. Wind power produces only about 2.5 watts per sq/m of land, compared to 1000.0 watts per sq/m for nuclear.
24. One set of turbine blades in 20 years makes 200 times more landfill waste per MegaWatt than nuclear power.
25. There are proven human health issues for people living near wind turbines.
26. Northeast Missiouri wind projects are shut down at night due to too many bats being killed.
27. Worm population in the soil deminisses, and the soil quality suffers. (see "Farm Damage . . " video below)
28. Wind Power propaganda is tainted. They say how much energy is provided by wind, but only because power companies are forced to buy it. A coal plant can take 1 to 9 hours to ramp up to capacity or power down - depending on it's size. When the wind power comes on line, all that coal energy is wasted. Wind provides very little USEFUL power.
29. Yes, Wind Turbines can cause cancer:
Bisphenol A is the most toxic substance we know’ —Swedish Environmental Protection Agency. Bisphenol is used abundantly in polycarbonate plastics and epoxy resin that are used in wind turbine blades. It chips off, and flakes off when the turbines are in use. It comes off, and leaches from blades in landfills. It does get into our ground water. Bisphenol A is a proven Carcinogenic (causes cancer).* While there are many other sources Bisphenol A, there is no more potent, and unregulated delivery system, to spread toxins into the environment.**
*Reproductive and Cancer Hazard Assessment Branch Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment California Environmental Protection Agency
" I HAUL CRANE PARTS TO THESE SITES . BELIEVE ME IT WOULD BE >>>>BAD!!!<<<< FOR THAYER COUNTY. Pipelines do far less damage to planet earth than the wind turbine The turbine does not last, then has to be torn down leaving a 20x20 foot concrete pad that is full of rebar about 30 feet deep. no grass, no crops. also bad for wildlife. I have seen miles of worn out piles of of fiberglass blades unrecyclable. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE KEEP THESE WASTE OF MATERIALS MONSTROSITIES WINDMILLS OUT OF THAYER COUNTY. !!!!! " Thayer County Truck Driver.
Wind Speed: See if the wind right now is high enough to put a wind turbine at full capacity. Call the Hebron AWOS at 402-768-2501. '02 17' zula, wind 180@16, gusts 19, visibility 10, means 2:17 in Zula time, wind 180 means wind is from the south (180 degrees, east is 90, west 270) @16 means 16 mph, gusts 19 means gust up to 19 mph, visibility 8 means 8 miles (10 means 10 or more).
A wind turbine needs about 32 mph of wind to run at full capacity.
One of many Huge Landfills of Wind Turbine Blades.
Notice the bulldozer in the upper right.